For a child living in rural Malawi, it can be difficult to practice good hygiene. Often there is
no running water or place to throw out trash. It is especially hard for young girls on their
period, who are already considered “unclean” in their culture.
Girls should be able to have dignity during their periods, which is why we need an
incinerator for our secondary school. An incinerator will make it easy to throw away used
sanitary pads and maintain proper hygiene at school.
You can give hundreds of girls dignity and confidence during a vulnerable time in their lives,
helping them rise above the obstacles of gender inequality to become role models for the
Last year, a new incinerator was built for the Children’s Homes in Uganda, and it is already
improving the lives of young women in our program.
One young woman named Mary says, “On behalf of the Home children and the staff, I want
to thank Children of the Nations and our sponsors for the new incinerator. Before, we used
to take our [menstrual products] to the secondary site. But now, the incinerator is close to
It has also reduced the cost of emptying the latrines, which is one of the places the sanitary
materials used to be disposed of. The incinerator is also used to dispose of waste from our
medical clinic, so it has reduced the cost of transferring the waste to a hospital to be
With your help, we can provide these same benefits to the children and staff in Malawi.
Why Is This Project Needed?
• The girls at our secondary school need a private and sanitary way to dispose of their
• A new incinerator will also be used by our clinic to dispose of medical waste.
• Right now, girls use the latrines to throw away their sanitary pads. This means the
latrines have to be emptied frequently, which costs money.
1. The girls attending the secondary school won’t be held back by the social stigma
2. The girls will be able to maintain good hygiene and health.
3. The incinerator will reduce the cost of emptying latrines. The money that is saved can
be used to provide physical, educational, social, and spiritual care to vulnerable
The total cost of this project is $1,686. You can improve the health and education of
hundreds of girls and help give them the confidence and dignity they deserve.